Thursday, July 5, 2012

A Shift From Protector to Partner

I hope this doesn't come across as feminist in any way. I hate those wack-jobs.

While on a long run the other day I was thinking. It's something I do a lot while running. Sadly, I generally don't do it well. I remembered my youth, specifically the time while I grew where I pictured the woman that I might some day marry. And as I remembered, I couldn't help but compare those day-dreams of youth with the actual woman I am now married to.

First of all, I remember thinking that I wanted to marry a petite, delicate woman. One that I could carry easily in my big strong arms. I saw her, this future wife, as something that I would need to protect. In other words, I bought into that old school archetypal wife.

But, I married a strong, independent woman. I married someone that doesn't need my protection. I married someone that sometimes needs to protect me. And my life is richer for it.

The relationship that allows for an equal partnership is so much more fulfilling that what I had pictured when young. I'm exceptionally happy that I married who I did, and that I've grown to appreciate something so much more beautiful and powerful.

I find it interesting that society still tries to portray women as subservient to men. Women are not second class citizens. They are not a collection of body parts created for our enjoyment. My wife is my equal or better in every way that matters, and I love her all the more for it.

1 comment:

  1. I love you. I like that I can have you protect me still...I like knowing you can carry me in your arms and snuggle me in your buff arms. I also love that you treat me as an equal and not subservient.

    I LOVE YOU!

    ReplyDelete