Friday, June 3, 2011

Hiking and Bueller

We officially kicked off summer. We went on or first mountain hike of the year. Well, it was technically in the mountains, but because of the unseasonal snow at the higher elevations, and the over-flowing, run-off fed rivers, none of our regular trails were available. We found a new one, barely outside the developed valley. And it was great.
Tonight once the kiddos were in bed, Tauni and I watched Ferris Bueller's Day Off. Well, I watched it while Tauni played Sudoku.
I have to say that, for a movie that turned 25 this week, it's still a really good flick. And I want to throw out the parting line from Ferris (not counting that little bit after the credits).
He said: "Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it."
I'm no movie our life expert, but I think that that sentence sums up the while film perfectly.
Now, how many us know someone like Ferris in the real world? Someone that can go out into the world and make it theirs? Someone that lives every second of their life because they aren't afraid?
How many of us know someone that has everything go wrong? Someone that send accident prone or unlucky? Someone that seems perpetually frustrated or angry, especially with the world?
Which one are you?
I know that I spend far to much of my life in fear and frustration. And worse, I'm teaching it to my daughters.
We found another geocache today, while hiking. Tons. Of. Fun. We are going to find us a bunch of geocaches this summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment