Saturday, May 21, 2011

Date Night - Sushi and Fair Game

After suffering through 3 hours of an elementary school carnival, Tauni took me out on a date. All the movies out right now look like cinematic excrement, so we just went to dinner, then rented a movie to watch at home.

First after wandering around town wondering where to eat, we headed to Wabi Sabi. We'd heard good things and wanted to try it out. Tauni is somewhat of a sushi virgin, and I'm none too experienced with it myself. But, we were daring and after long moments or indecision, ordered two sushi rolls and some gyosa. Both rolls of sushi contained raw tuna.  And they were delicious.

As a side note, just because you can eat wasabi peas by the handful, does not mean that you can take fresh wasabi and it in similar quantities. I've learned that lesson the hard way. Tauni almost got us kicked out of the restaurant, she was laughing so hard.

We both left stuffed, though we didn't get that much food. And, apparently, they don't let you take sushi home in doggy bags, so we had to leave a few sections behind.

We found a redbox and rented Fair Game, which turned out to be a pretty good movie. I am always impressed with Sean Penn's acting, even though he seems like such a douche in real life. The movie, is part spy flick, part government expose, and part drama. It makes you think a bit about government power, and how much they may or may not be abusing it. And it made be remember this quote:
"Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it."  Mark Twain
Most people think that country and government are one and the same. But, they are not.

I guess now I should probably go on record and say that I am not one of those anti-government conspiracy theorists. Do I think our government lies to us? Yeah, they do. Do I think they destroy families and peoples lives and mold data to fit whatever their agenda happens to be at the time? Of course they do. Was Bush a corrupt president? Probably, and I think Obama probably is too.

The problem we face as Americans is that we cannot believe anything we hear in the media. They, also, spin data to match their agenda.

The only way to get corruption out of government (and media) is to get corruption out of people. No matter how perfectly setup a system of government is, there will always be people that want to exploit any loophole or twist it for their own ends.

1 comment:

  1. Agree on so many counts! Thanks for taking me to dinner and enjoying some yummy tuna! I love you!!

    ReplyDelete