Thursday, May 19, 2011

First* 5k, of many.

* It was my first 5k since I was 16 years old running Cross Country in High School.

Tonight was the Brookwood Elementary Fun Run/5k. And it was the first running race of any kind that I have been in in over 15 years.

I won...sort of.

My time was 22:30, which I am pretty psyched about. I doubt I have any chance of ever reaching my former levels or cross country prowess. But, I think about how I was 40 lbs. fatter a few months ago, and couldn't run 50 feet without dying of a heart attack, and I'm pretty happy with where I am now.

I won, first place in my age group, 'younger' adults. But I only got 7th place, overall. The sad thing was that I was beaten by two old guys (40+), two 6th graders, and two teens. And the first female runner finished only about 30 seconds behind me. But, I'm happy. I was really only racing myself, to see how good I could do, time-wise, and to set the bar for my next race.

I need to also mention that my wonderful girls also participated. In the little half-mile fun run for the little kids, Elyse got second place out of the girl kinder-gardeners. She may have caught the running bug now, too.

Katy and Tauni, and Elyse, walked/ran most of the 5k. I appreciate Tauni sticking with the girls so that I could do a race speed run. I feel a little bad for Katy, who didn't get a medal. I've been trying extra hard to make her feel special.

No comments:

Post a Comment